Thursday, January 14, 2010

Only at Night Chapter 30 - A Place in Hell

"Bullshit, Whitlock. You might be able to fool them, but I see right through your shit. You aren't going out there without me." He stared me down for a full minute before I sighed and said, "Fine."

Peter shot me a look and I raised my eyebrows to him, he nodded and we all headed out. We drove past the reservation and around as far back as we could before parking the SUV off on a dirt road, obscured from what little traffic was out there. We had to hike in from the forest that surrounded the reservation.

We had been hunting together for years and were all very comfortable with the silence and knew how to manage through the thick vegetation without making any noise. James fit in well, he was really good at spotting things in the dark. Several times he alerted us to a herd of deer or some other animal that would have scampered loudly if startled. We heard a pack of wolves howling in the distance and I was glad to be armed no matter what predator we ran into, be it Jacob or the furry variety.

After a few hours of trudging through forest and undeveloped parts of the reservation we saw a dilapidated old shack and we all exchanged a look. We sat quietly for thirty minutes looking for any sign of movement, sound, but nothing. We slowly and silently surrounded the shack looking in through windows, long broken and poorly boarded over. It was dark and overrun with cobwebs and dust. Peter went in first, followed by Preston, I stood guard in the front and James at the rear. Wade took up position right outside the front door.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like another nail biter tramp!!! Too bad I can't grow nails anymore, since my fingers are still little bloody nubs from the last two chapters! I need a new nervous habit...

    ReplyDelete